The Act of Observation Changes That Which is Being Observed

My Contemporary Art Final Project
Connie Stewart Ph.D, Instructor
University Of Northern Colorado
Fall 2010

Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Concept as Explained for the Purpose of My Project

I have always been fascinated with both quantum physics and the visual arts. Like Jim Sanborn, I am interested in examining scientific concepts through an artistic lens. For the purpose of this project I am creating both a blog and an interactive work of art in order to explore the ideas presented by Edwin Schrodinger's infamous thought experiment.

I have also been a big admirer of Michael Craig Martin's  iconic conceptual work entitled An Oak Tree, which accounts for the concept and title being entirely separate from the object presented for the duration of my final  project.

The Blog

The blog is both an online entity and a non-object, existing as both simultaneously. It allows the observers of this project to read my observations on the the world around me and my thoughts about the significant events that have shaped my personal experience thus far, through the scrapbook of tidbits I am compiling on the attached pages. By reading the comments and the web traffic reports associated with this blog, I can also observe the impact it has had. Therefore I am acting as both the observer and the observed at the same time, as is the audience. However I am leaving an end result up to chance. The observers of this piece always have a choice to either comment or not on my project.

The Artwork
 
I will be placing a digital camera on a pedestal asking the observer of the piece to interact with the other members of the class, by showing me their observations. The audience becomes both the observer and the observed, simultaneously. Again, the end result is left completely up to chance, and will be posted on the blog.

It is important to note that the audience being observed may or may not act differently depending on whether or not they notice they are actually being observed. We won't know the final result until the pictures are observed.

Directions
for Installtion

Consider the space...
It could be anything 

As an observer
Take a picture of what you observe


No comments:

Post a Comment